Agenda for Meeting #4 (6/16/2014)

1:00-1:05: Welcome & Introductions:
Welcome to the panelists and everyone (including panelists) introduces themselves.

1:05-1:10: Check In:
Round robin: each member shares one thing they would like to thread through to this session by starting with the phrase: What was important to me from last meeting…
Action Item:
1. Please take a look at Krystal’s blog entry for the last session to jog our memories about last session.

1:10-2:10: Learn about campus climate & best practices:
We will hear from and talk with a roundtable of campus specialists on the campus climate for and best practices for racial/gender/sexuality justice:

    • Ixchel Rosal, Director of Student Diversity Initiatives, Director of the Gender & Sexuality Center (serving women and LGBTQ students), and Interim Director of the Multicultural Engagement Center – She will speak about campus climate for and best practices for serving LGBTQ students.
    • Two MEC Program Coordinators will speak about campus climate for and best practices for serving students of color and queer students.
      • Brandelyn Franks Flunder, Program Coordinator at the Multicultural Engagement Center, advises student organizations Afrikan American Affairs and Native American and Indigenous Council
      • Tony Vo, Program Coordinator at the Multicultural Engagement Center, advises student organizations Asian Desi Pacific Islander American Collective (APAC) and Queer People of Color and Allies (QPOCA)
    • Choquette Hamilton, Associate Director of Development for the Department of African and African Diaspora Studies, she has recently done a study of admission rates for African American students and has a history of organizing on campus as a student herself – She would speak about her research in relationship to campus climate for and best practices for serving African Diasporic students
    • Ryan Miller, Associate Director of Campus Diversity and Strategic Initiatives at the DDCE – He will speak about the recent report from the Campus Climate Response Team (which Ixchel is also on) about the campus climate for historically marginalized students.

(One other campus specialist may join in as well; I will update the blog and let you know if we have news.)

Action Items:
2. Please review the websites that offer information about the campus units our visitors work with:
Gender & Sexuality Center
Multicultural Engagement Center
Division of Diversity & Community Engagement
Campus Climate Response Team
Campus Climate Trend Report 2012-13
Department of African and African Diaspora Studies

3. Please come ready to ask questions and discuss how this relates to our roles at the Libraries.

2:10-2:25: Define our small-group work on peer education/research:
As a group we will identify which and how many areas we will research in preparation for our next meeting. For example, we have discussed these possibilities thus far:

  • Best practices in diversity at other (university) libraries
  • Best practices in diversity in other professions (for example, social work)
  • Best practices in diversity on our campus/in our city

By email: We will sign up for/break into groups, identify a group liaison to keep the group on track, and outline plans for the research.
For next time, we will come prepared to share research and outline our research outcomes. For example, our research will help us to:

  • Suggest events and speakers for our group and for our connection with LSC Staff Enrichment Committee
  • Draft a working definition of diversity for the Libraries
  • Outline a proposal to the new VP/Director of the Libraries

Action Item:
4. Please come ready with your thoughts (even though they may change during the session!) about which three issues you would like to see our small groups research.

2:25-2:30: Check Out:
Early on, we said we wanted to see a building energy rather than separate meetings. In the spirit of this interconnection, we will close out with a round robin description of how we see connections between our previous and current sessions.

Action Item:
5. Please look at the DASIG Blog in advance of the meeting so that we are prepared to see the threads in our work together.