Meeting Recap – 9/3/15

What we remember:
  • Ben – remembers tabling; did two in the last week
  • Jee – wondering last meeting, who is supposed to contact Travis; blogger contacts Travis to let him know what DASIG has been up to
  • Ronda – talked a lot about the all gender restroom app
  • Allyssa – training
  • Andres – remember people’s positive experinces with tabling
  • Ann – t-shirt idea
  • Gilbert – remember the app
LGBTQ training, report from Andres:
  • Remember for next time; come a few minutes earlier to grab refreshments and unlock the room
  • Great training, a lot of people attended
  • Many people were motivated to be more educated
  • Focused on the basics of LGTBQA identities
  • Andres remembered and reflected upon the fact that this community is not a monolithic community, for instance, not everyone is stoked about the marriage equality decision
  • There was definitely more interest in a longer, more intense training
  • First training: 16 attendees; second training: 19 attendees
Roxanne asked: can we get rosters to look at reach to the branches and to use for our report? If we are not reaching people in branches, how can we do that?
Ann commented that she thought  it went well and that it even could have been longer. Perhaps it could it be two different workshops, since we are really just hitting the surface.
Jee responded that the first time we had the training, people had same feedback that it could be longer. Ixchel has said that the next step could be Ally training.
Kristen and Ixchel: there was likley more content they had than there was time to cover. There is also more interest and curiosity that extends the conversation simply because this is really the only opportunity to discuss these things.
The group then discussed how we can reach all of the 228 people that work in the Libraries.  We asked ourselves how do we energize and motivate our supervisors or others in the administration to attend these trainings. We wondered if there would be a way to tie the trainings in with the competencies and Jennifer thought there might be a way.  We also wondered if the attendance was low because of the summer timing.
Roxanne wondered if could as the Gender and Sexuality Center to develop this as a special course since Ixchel would prefer this not to be required, perhaps something like Diversity 101 for Supervisors.
We discussed being hopeful about hearing back about the DASIG’s recommendation to Administration and thought a good time to follow up would be now. Our conversation could begin with a discussion of the adoption of the DASIG diversity statement.
Some feedback from the workshop participants is as follows:
  • some attendees would prefer no group work and would prefer to have presenters own it or at least have the time and opportunity to have report back to share
  • this workshop allowed staff to create a space or opportunity for people to share unfamilarity with content, a chance to practice language and to be pushed outside comfort zone
Diversity Residency program
  • Jennifer Heath, Lorraine is excited to about diversity program, in particular West Virginia’s Program where the resident really becomes part of the staff
  • Heath has met head of the Alliance of Residency Programs, 8 different institutions in the alliance; they get together once a year to talk and share resources
  • West Virgina’s approach – find a good fit for the school, then rotate through departments; Tennessee takes that approach
  • Opportunity for grants since we don’t have any money; we can take a look at the Laura Bush IMLS grant
  • We had previously discussed this in light of Learning Commons, etc; we don’t need to look too far to find opportunities for this program.
  • Linda Abbey will host a talk about how to approach grant-writing on October 5th; takes 6-8 months to really write a grant. Most of it is about presenting and packaging the idea.
  • We wondered if there a potential long term position here
  • Would a donor be interested? Can we work cross-departmentally, cross-institutionally to fund a Diversity officer position?
Allyssa – Tabling
  • 3 events: QPOCA Bloq Parties, Native American and Indig People’s Group; Student Diversity Initiatives contacted us with 9 events, all happening after 5pm. Discussed with Rocio Villalobos if there may be other more sustainable initiatives that the libraries could be involved in since so many staff leave campus after 5pm.
  • Can we have a method for selecting tabling opportunities?
  • Thank you Allyssa for preparing talking points & coordinating!
  • We provided a list of subject specialists, individual collections at branch, Ask a Librarian
  • Tablers are worried they aren’t always giving the right info, but we discussed that it’s okay,  we’re still connecting them with the resources for follow-up
  • This was a great training opportunity for non-public services folks
  • For the future we should consider working with Travis to create marketing materials that advertise specific collections
Mobile App
  • We need to find someone to sponsor us on a website so that as updates happen, people won’t need to download a new update.
  • Branding and Logo for the app will need to go to EMT; UT Libraries is inclined to lend logo and branding to this app, but this is still in flux because all of UT is undergoing a branding refresh.
  • There is no splash page yet; currently there is a map of entire campus with all locations —  Jeremy and Ben photographed themselves! You can get directions and can see floor plans of the buildings. Soon you will be able to use whatever mapping app you have on you phone to get directions. If you swipe to the left, it will bring up sponsors, etc.
Next sub-committee meeting
  • All Gender Bathroom, thinking of inviting Equity Committee, Gender and Sexuality Center, invite Aaron from TIS
  • Jeremy can get feedback from stakeholders
Events 
  • We will follow-up on ally training
  • Currently brainstorming possibilities for one annual event  that tackles racism, social justice issues, or is more broad and appeals to more areas of social justice
  • First event with so many different groups was broad and aimed to be inclusive and demonstrate what DASIG is.
  • We discussed focusing on a current event happening at the time – for instance, right now, Black Lives Matter; like DASIG annual speaker series.  It can also be in collaboration with other departments.
  • Ben will make a folder in the Box page for Events.