Meeting Recap, 12/03/2015

Attendees: Gilbert Borrego, Dale Correa, Cindy Fisher, Jennifer Heath, Frank Meaker, Andres Ramirez, Ben Rodriguez, and Ronda Rowe.

Ben demoed the app, Inclusive U, which included links to UTL information.  The app will be part of the the UTL subject specialist page.  The group was impressed with the app development, how easy it will be use the app, and how useful it will be for the campus community.

We discussed our signature event in 2016, which will be the app launch party and a panel discussion of stakeholders who came together to bring the app to fruition.  Student government chairs will be invited, as well as Employee Assistance Program, Office of Inclusion and Equity, and iSchool Women and Technology subgroup.  The subcommittee who will help Jennifer with the event are Andres, Ben, Frank, and Gilbert.

We also discussed workshops that we can host, such as Ally training that is one hour long, which we can offer more than once.  BeVocal facilitator training may also be beneficial.  Gilbert suggested having an app walking tour.  Microagression training could be helpful also in this time of racial and ethnic tension.

Lessons Learned is an important exercise to reflect on what DASIG’s accomplishments have been for the year, what can we improve, and what we can work toward in the next year.  The group discussed having a facilitator from Division of Diversity and Community Engagement or Multicultural Excellence Committee.  Perhaps such a facilitator can help us go deeper into social justice issues.

Mark Puente of Association of Research Libraries (ARL) was brought up as a possible speaker on ARL diversity concerns.

We determined that future meetings will be one hour long from 10-11 a.m. beginning in January.  We discussed communicating through e-mails, treating e-mail as a conversation.  Cindy mentioned setting up DASIG as a Skype conversation.

Andres said that he will e-mail the students to invite them to come to the March meeting, and invite them to read our blog.

Ben shared with us BeVocal information that is a university innovation to prevent high-risk behavior or harm, and to create a culture that takes care of each other.  The group discussed why people don’t intervene when they witness a potentially harmful situation.  We learned that 2/3 of students will talk about suicide with a friend before committing suicide.  Expressing concern and empathy can effect the outcome.

 

 

 

Meeting Agenda 12/3/2015

  • I Remember… (All- 5 minutes)
  • Inclusive U App Progress (Ben – 10 minutes)
  • App Launch Event Subcommittee: Status report on App launch event and initial call for subcommittee members (Jennifer – 10 minutes)
  • Training & Event Discussion – General discussion of other training & educational events to pursue for the remainder of the year (Dale – 10 minutes)
  • Discussion of Lessons Learned: Brief reflections from veteran members about the process and discussion about how we want to proceed with this and our timeline (20 minutes)
  • Meeting Length Discussion (Dale – 5 minutes)
  • BeVocal Presentation (Ben – 30 minutes)
  • It Made Me Think… (All – 5 minutes)

Meeting Recap, 11/5/15

Attendees: Roxanne Bogucka (facilitator), Dale Correa, Jee Davis, Frank Meaker, Ann Marchock, Andres Ramirez, Kristen Hogan, Allyssa Guzman (blogger), Jennifer Heath, Jason Moline (DDCE guest), Ben Rodriguez, Jeremy

Demo of App

We need to decide soon what the icon of the app will be. Ben suggested a group of people. Will create a folder where people can add ideas. Jason: Need to have a formal SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) between DDCE and UTL, before Jason can invite more members of his team to participate, including designers who could help with icon design. Jee: Recapping that UTL administration told us that we cannot be involved in the development of the app. DASIG will hand prototype over to DDCE for final development, so visual design will be up to DDCE. Jason: Agreed, just waiting on SOP.

Jeremy: (Demos app.) Some changes made: new navigation system, information about each restroom is simplified. Thinking about including images of actual bathroom signage, because definitions of accessibility can vary or change. Can be a part of crowdsourcing features in the future. Kristen: Liz is visiting all the bathrooms and taking pictures. Jee: We can collect that data on varying signs and take it back to facilities to show them how different everything is. Jennifer: PMCS, not facilties makes the decisions. Jeremy: All the data is in the app now. Get directions feature takes you to your native mapping app, default is Google Maps. Jason: In terms of getting the first iteration done, we really stripped down the features, it works really well. It’s essentially done, except for the visual design. About page is a little long, looks okay on newer phones, but might be small on older.

 

Questions and comments:

Roxane: It’s important to not have identifiable images of people in the app.

Ben: Took pictures on a Saturday. Is it possible to blur or crop. Possibly retake some.

Kristen: It’s beautiful! I want to download it!

Dale: Do we have a plan for pushing it out?

Jason: Discussion of first prototype included user testing, so we need to do that first. Can ask GSC students to participate.

Jeremy: As soon as there’s an icon, there can be a placeholder/test mode in the Apple store. Can send out email links to it.

Jason: Sounds like an argument for going ahead and using a placeholder image.

Kristen: Agreed, because we will want to user test logo.

Jee: Does DASIG need to be involved in user testing?

Consensus: No

Jee: What is next step? Jee and Dale approved and edited the SOP and returned to Jason without asking for group input. Can be distributed among the group. Will need to be forwarded to the VPC before December meeting for approval.

Jason: Two parallel things- 1. Jeremy can upload a beta version that can be distributed to 20 people. 2. DASIG will provide stewardship, is in charge of steering strategy. GSC will collect data and guide content, what to include and how best to provide it. DDCE will provide technical support for launching and development. As the app expands, DDCE will become a very interest partner, so DASIG will need to think about checklist for how to expand the app, how far to go or not in terms of adding features. Inclusion can be a tough business, because how do you start to say no and for what reasons.

Andres: Has there been mention of starting a second app to take on some of those other features? Jason: What is SSD’s involvement? Think about audiences and how you’d like to move forward, because there are a number of interested partners. If DASIG can develop and over arching philosophy for who the app serves, it will help guide the decision making process in the future, when there are more interested parties who would like to get involved.

Jee: Scope is very important. We can provide leadership and relationship building. Monthly meeting can help us continue this conversation.

Jason: How to set priority for underrepresented groups? Interface constraints?

Frank: The scope of this project has been steadily expanding.

Jason: Need a set of guiding principles.

Ben: We should take this discussion into the subcommittee.

Kristen: How should we connect with you for user testing?

Jeremy: Contact him about requirements.

 

National Diversity in Libraries Conference

Jee: Conference is August 10-13th at UCLA, would like to propose a presentation on the app (deadline is the end of the month). Collaborative aspect is important. There is a separate poster deadline, but would ideally like to propose a round table so that partners can participate.

Jason: Open source part of it

Jee: Who is going to work on it? Especially people who are working on the app. There is a link that Jee and Dale will send to app developers, Jason, Ben, Jeremy.

There are other topics that could be suggested for the poster session that the rest of us could keep in mind. Further discussion will be taken to email.

 

T-Shirts

Not a lot of takers via the email form. People have been waiting to see the samples before ordering. The shirt is a women’s style shirt, but people can size up. Jee: It doesn’t look like our image. Allyssa: Doesn’t have the UT Libraries logo, so may be ineffective for tabling. Ann: So we need Travis’s approval. Takes six weeks for approval.

Is there a point to having a shirt right now? Maybe we can think about them more once we have some events.

Dale: Practically speaking, we need permission anyway, so we need to pause.

Jee: Let’s wait until we have a signature event and can possible add to a budget.

 

Signature Event Discussion

Roxane: What are our event ideas?

Jee: Previously we discussed having a speaker or panel discussion once a year.

Ann: Separate from our staff training. We also discussed having the app unveiling as our event this year.

Andres: Added some campus speaker suggestions for a panel discussion to UT Box.

Dale: Liking the idea of the app being part of it, but including a panel on diversity, inclusivity, possibly even open access.

Roxane: Would hope that event could highlight UTL and its collections. There’s someone who works with social media, civic engagement, and young people.

Jee: Who is going to do what and how are we going to pull this together? When are we going to hold this?

Ben: No sooner than January.

Dale: Later, but before spring break. February or March. Probably good to get on campus speakers, because off campus will already be booked.

Jee: Should we have a subcommittee? Or group discussion?

Roxane: Need a small subcommittee and it needs to meet with Jason right away.

Jennifer: Will head up the event, send out email call for volunteers.

Ann: When will the app be up and running?

Ben: End of November/December, before the end of the year.

Jennifer: Is there anything that the VPC needs to sign off on? Ben: Logo permissions. Jee: Also the SOP form.

Jee: We need to write the event proposal.

 

Changing the Bathroom Committee name to Inclusive Spaces Committee

New business proposed by Dale, all agreed

 

Inviting student participants

Andres: Hasn’t sent the emails out yet. Do we need to ask for a commitment requirement from students?

Dale: Suggesting a semesterly call for participation.

Ben: What about GRAs?

Andres: Trying to figure out what to do about the really long email. How to edit?

Ann: See what the response is. We might only get a few interested participants.

Ben: Will check with LSC to see if DASIG can directly contact interested GRAs.

 

Meeting Time

Dale: Does it need to change? Does our meeting need to be condensed into an hour? Is it an attendance issue?

Ben: Good time for him. Would rather have it planned than have an hour meeting that runs over often.

Ann: Think we need the hour and half.

Jennifer: Agreed.

Jee: Other option is twice a month, which is too difficult. Who comes and who doesn’t is up to the individual participant.

Roxane: Disagrees. There needs to be more triage on our meeting agendas and we should work online more.

Allyssa: Sharepoint has discussion boards.

Ben: We have Skype now too. Sub committees can meet that way.

Jee: This is still a commitment thing. Everyone needs to participate, even virtually.

Ben: How would minutes be handled in Skype meetings?

Roxane: There are tools for that.

 

It made me think:

Ben: It made me think that it might be a good time to rein in some of our time.

Jennifer: It made me think that technology might be a good way to do that.

Andres: Jason’s comments made me think that it might be good to have a defined purpose for our group.

Ann: It made me think that we need an overall philosophy of who we need to serve on the app.

Frank: It made me think that there are many people who might be interested in the app. It made me think that the subcommittees taking minutes might help make our meeting shorter.

Jee: It made me think that we should think about the meeting time after we review how the subcommittees communicated, in February.

Dale: It made me think that I would like to let the group know 24 hours ahead of time if I’m not going to attend the meeting.

Roxane: It made me think about how we might involve colleagues who might not want to commit to DASIG, but would like to participate.