Attendees: Roxanne, Andres, Kristin, Stacy, Allyssa, Gilbert, Jessica, Melanie, Ben
Absent: Dale, Brittany, Jennifer, Frank, Loretta
Facilitator – Roxanne; Blogger – Melanie
Welcome and meeting procedures
Roxanne welcomed us and reviewed general meeting protocols for newbies.
Communication and Archivist Officers
Andres distributed a handout outlining Communication Officer key responsibilities for review/comment, and summarized the ideas behind the new Communication and Archival Officer roles. Allyssa and Gilbert each discussed the duties they envision being responsible for as the new officers, respectively. Attendees discussed potential activities of the DASIG Archivist/Web Oversight team:
- The current wiki platform is being phased out soon, so we need to decide where to migrate content (e.g. UT Box, blog, repository)
- Pros and cons of Sharepoint vs. UT wikis
- Ben advocates for UT Box, ease of use
- Ben mentions need to update DASIG by-laws to include descriptions and duties of officers
Andres remembered being glad that Allyssa volunteered for the Communications Officer role, which feels to him like a natural progression from the co-chair run-off last week.
Roxanne remembered the thoughtful and inspirational comments of departing members.
Ben remembered being glad for the suggestion of a design team to help with the poster for the National Diversity in Libraries Conference in August. Melanie remembered being impressed by the plan to send a DASIG member to the conference. Ben mentioned a new QR code for the Inclusive U app, which he will share with the group for further promotion of the app.
Jessica remembered being excited to join DASIG and is feeling enthusiasm for carrying the torch forward.
Stacy remembers being excited to attend last week’s meeting and enjoyed the playfulness in co-chair election process.
Andres shared the results of the Qualtrics Poll where group members ranked seven event/training suggestions for the coming year. Attendees agreed to prioritize the two most highly-ranked events: Disability Advocacy and Ally Training. Roxanne suggested Ally Training for UTL staff would be an ideal summer pursuit, and that a Dis/ability training/event could be more fully fleshed out for a Fall offering. Ben agreed, with reminders that student involvement and PG Moreno’s availability for collaboration are better in Fall.
A call for volunteers to coordinate these events led to discussion of what is involved:
- Event duration expected to range from a couple of hours to a half-day
- A subcommittee of 2 DASIG members + external partners is typical
- Early steps: obtaining approval for funding and release time for staff
- Securing room reservations, coordinating refreshments
- Publicizing event (working w/ Travis, asking administration to provide statements to incorporate into promotional materials)
- Coordinating with external partners
- Developing assessment plans/instruments
Melanie and Jessica volunteered to coordinate Ally Training.
Andres will announce event/training priorities and call for volunteers on DASIG list, and plans to mention plans for Ally Training at all-staff meeting Friday 6/17.
There was discussion around when & how to encourage GRAs to help out/be involved in DASIG events.
Kristin suggested creation of checklist document for event planning/organization with contact info for future use. Roxanne mentioned Basecamp as a useful project/planning tool.
Andres will gather info for next meeting on event planning tips/steps
The only revision suggested thus far was to spell out University of Texas Libraries. Andres confirmed the next step after DASIG approval is for the statement to go to lorraine for approval. We had a unanimous vote in favor to send it forward for approval, quorum of 8 group members present.
Melanie asked about what remains for the group to transition to a standing committee, such as renaming, and the timeline.
- Andres mentioned ongoing work to draft by-laws, invited interested members to help; Ben mentioned cheat-sheets and book on Robert’s Rules are helpful.
- The diversity statement, drafting by-laws, and developing a plan for safe spaces are the charges given to us this year – we are now checking off the first one, shifting focus to other two.
- We will still be DASIG until December and new by-laws are due by December. lorraine wants progress reports between now and then. Our group name should be finalized by then and incorporated into by-laws.
- LSC by-laws were recently settled; Ben will have Missy Nelson contact Andres about the status and how DASIG and SACLA are referred to, for continuity in our by-laws.
- Stacy volunteers to help with editorial work on by-laws.
- Definitions for the structure of the group are welcome at this point; currently Andres and Dale favor a model allowing for flexibility.
Melanie suggested using a shared calendar for tracking DASIG activities, deadlines, etc. Another recommendation for Basecamp, from Kristin. Andres and Gilbert will confer with Allyssa on that suggestion.
Allyssa will facilitate the next meeting instead of Andres due to vacation schedules.
No one knows exact date wiki is expected to be discontinued.
Melanie mentioned and other attendees agree that a Sharepoint presence for DASIG is critical, even if we’re linking out to other platforms for most content.
Logistics of Basecamp accounts? Natalie Moore manages library account
It made me think
Ben: I have a lot of action items!
Gilbert: We’re really getting down to the nuts and bolts of action.
Kristin: Once we get our new group framework in place, we’ll start having some real fun!
Andres: Sounds like we’re all on the same page.
Melanie: Maybe we need a cookie/snack signup per meeting? (include gluten-free options)
- Allyssa & Gilbert will confer to further define their positions
- Ben to contact volunteers to begin poster design work
- Ben will share QR code to promote Inclusive U app
- Melanie and Jessica will investigate GSC availability to provide Ally Training during summer, taking next steps from there.
- Andres will announce event/training priorities on list-serv, put out call for volunteers
- Andres will mention plans for summer training at all-staff meeting 6/17/2016
- Andres will gather info on event planning tips/steps for next meeting
- Co-chairs will forward diversity statement to lorraine for approval
- Ben will share by-law drafts, cheat sheets and Robert’s Rules info with persons within DASIG who are working on writing the by-laws
- Ben will ask Missy Nelson to contact Andres about the LSC by-law status and how DASIG and SACLA are referred to there, for continuity in DASIG by-laws
- Andres and Gilbert will confer with Allyssa on suggestions to use Basecamp for DASIG planning.