Meeting Notes 12/8/2016

Attendees: Roxanne, Jennifer, Jessica, Andres, Loretta, Kristin, Allyssa, Melanie, Gilbert, Stacy

I remember:

  • Melanie: Dale offered several suggestions to support the Muslim community in the aftermath of the presidential election.
  • Stacy: That it was a very emotional meeting.
  • Jessica: Was not at last meeting but remembers the time period as being very emotional.

Housekeeping:

Facilitator/blogger signup (Andres):

  • Some new members are hesitant to blog/facilitate due to uncertainty about procedures, so Andres put together a guide. Andres shared a draft of a Guide for DAC Meeting Facilitators before meeting to give the group a chance to preview it.  Will be open to comments and corrections, then will post to DAC SharePoint for future reference.
  • From discussion during a co-chair planning meeting, Melanie and Andres wanted to take the opportunity for the group to consider any possible changes on how we run meetings. Andres suggested a revision (which he has mailed out to us, since this meeting.)
  • This is our last meeting as DASIG – at the next meeting our committee name will be DAC (Diversity Action Committee) and we’ll be an independent external committee, working in partnership with LSC.
  • Open up for discussion – members agreed that it was a good idea.
  • Discussed the need to go back and tag older blog entries to reformat/revise to new standards.
  • Discussed pre-assigned blogging/facilitation, consensus was to continue to ask for volunteers at the end of each meeting.

Spring meeting schedule (Melanie):

  • One-and-a-half hour meeting time proposed by Melanie

Discussion:

    • Pro: One hour seems very rushed, sometimes business needs more discussion;
    • Con: more than an hour is a harder commitment. One hour keeps us on topic, disciplined.
    • Suggestion was made to tack on an extra optional 15 minutes/half hour as needed. We will try this out next time. We will book the meeting room for an hour and a half and direct people to agenda/blog.
  • Melanie proposed having DASIG (DAC by next meeting time) hold their meetings at other locations to avoid having meetings solely at PCL. This would allow us to have greater outreach and visibility at branch locations.
    • Roxanne and Stacy will look into arrangements for holding meetings at the Life Science Library and the Walter Geology Library.
    • Melanie will investigate the possibility of meetings at other locations.
  • Decision to continue Thursday meeting timeslot 11am-12pm, with add-on optional 30 minutes for open discussion.
  • Melanie will schedule Spring meetings in room 3.120 before winter break, with branch location updates pending.

Blog updates (Allyssa):

  • Allyssa worked with Gilbert and Melanie on updating our blog’s side bar navigation.
  • They pared down the categories and tags: 4 categories: Events & Training, Meeting Agenda, Meeting Notes, and Resources for Staff. The Uncategorized category could not be deleted.
  • Tags are to be used to describe the topic of the post and its source. Notes and Agendas do not need tags.
  • Please don’t use too many tags. Keep them at or under five tags max. Tag your source, be specific, and look at tags on your source article.
  • Blog updated with new DASIG/DAC name
  • Discussed coming up with a new tagline and or a new header image to coincide with our name change and becoming a standing committee. Andres suggested photo of one of the Gloria Anzaldua quotes outside the PCL learning labs.
  • All old posts are categorized but not tagged.
  • A question was raised about whether blog search bring up articles that have been posted?

Event Updates:

Strategic planning meeting with Thao (Andres):

  • Event forms will be submitted by us directly to Doug.
  • Thao is mostly interested in events that require assistance such as promotion, refreshments or AV support.
  • The person(s) in charge of an event will be in charge of submitting future event forms and of corresponding BaseCamp projects.
  • Events with an audience outside of UTL could potentially have a larger budget.
  • Events will not have “Signature” as part of the title. The term Signature is reserved for high-profile events involving the Vice-Provost and the Advancement Team.
  • Discussed potentially co-sponsoring future events with other campus organizations.

Spring Panel Event (Jennifer + Gilbert):

Spring panel event will be Thurs April 13 from 1pm-2:30pm in the PCL Learning Lab

  • Tentatively titled: Breaking Down the Barriers to Access
  • Panelists will discuss disability access, open access to materials, web access, and post-custodial access.
  • We will need to specify what Colleen’s section will cover.
  • Daniel Jacobs, DDCE Captioning Services would like to participate.
  • PG Moreno will participate – perhaps ADA/facilities access issues.
  • Theresa Polk can speak on post-custodial access. If she can’t make it for whatever reason we may ask for another presenter from Benson.
  • Each will spend 10 minutes explaining what/how they provide access to information and what are our challenges to providing access.
  • Adam McBride could be a possibility for an open education piece (Open education resources.)
  • We would like to engage the wider UT community with this panel discussion.
  • Jennifer will send out a Qualtrix poll to solidify the final panel title.
  • Could a panelist be a moderator instead?  Suggested to ask PG Moreno to be facilitator.  Agreed.

(Brief) UTL Space Assessment update (Kristin/Stacy)

  • We’re code-naming the project “Chill Space” – removing the Safe Space language and its inferences.
  • We’re working through some data/research.
  • Will be meeting Monday, Dec. 19 with Andres to discuss how we can utilize Krystal in the assessment.
  • We’ve had requests for more migraine-free kinds of spaces (no fluorescent lighting?)
  • Determining if the assessment would be for more of a separate space or for a general inclusive chill space atmosphere.

DAC transition action items
Announcement of new status/name/by-laws/Sharepoint presence/communication plan

  • Setting the expectations around DAC communications/promotion/recognition within UTL
  • We Discussed:
    • What we need to update before we announce ourselves.
    • Blog and listserv renaming
    • Articulating our communications plan
    • Look at email about suggested Sharepoint updates from Melanie and comment
    • Add Guide to facilitate/blog for DAC meetings
    • Current list of campus partners + context
    • Quick response resource list on hand
  • Discussed whether there was an automated way to track other org’s events on campus – still investigating effective approach that isn’t too much effort.
  • Discussed how we want to solicit comments from people?
  • Will we refer to LSC anon comment form and expect they will work their way to us if they are important?
  • Comment would end up as an agenda item at an LSC meeting
  • We need to make sure LSC knows we want to accept comments from them that are relevant to DAC
  • Some people might want to just comment to DAC not be filtered through LSC
  • With our own comment form there would be no filter through another committee
  • We would need to develop a process for rapid handling of comment submissions

It Made Me Think …

  • Lots of Sharepoint updates are needed.

Next meeting:
Blogger: Jessica
Facilitator: Gilbert

DASIG Meeting Agenda, December 8

I remember.

Housekeeping:
• Facilitator/blogger signup (Andres, 5 minutes)
• Spring meeting schedule (Melanie, 10 minutes)
• Blog updates (Allyssa, 5 minutes)

Event updates
• Strategic planning, meeting with Thao (Andres, 5 minutes)
• Spring Panel event (Jennifer and Gilbert, 10 minutes)

UTL Space Assessment update – Kristin and Stacy, 5 minutes

DAC transition action items (Melanie, 10 minutes)
• Announcement of new status/name/by-laws/Sharepoint presence/communication plan
• Expectations around DAC communications/promotion/recognition within UTL

It made me think.