Meeting Notes 2/09/2017

Present: Roxanne,  Gilbert,  Melanie,  Allyssa, Jennifer,  Stacy,  Andres, Jessica

Diversity Action Committee (DAC)/Library Staff Council (LSC) Meeting

If we want Dr. Haricombe’s feedback regarding the work of DAC, what’s the process? What should be brought up at LSC Admin meeting?  These questions will be brought up in the February 21 LSC/Admin meeting that Andres will attend.

Our DAC minutes will go out with LSC minutes, now that we are a standing committee of LSC.  DAC will use LSC comment form.  If the need arises, we can explore other options to receive comments.

Are there expectations that DAC will prepare an annual report? If so, what are the guidelines?

We discussed for the need to address the campus climate report in regards to our hiring.  Our goal is to promote diversity in our recruiting, hiring and retention practices.  We discussed having members of DAC on Personnel Committee. We currently have two such members.  For the March meeting, Jennifer will provide a list of where we advertise our positions, which includes advertising to under-represented targeted audiences.  We explored if there is a way to get impressions from under-represented applicants who are not position accepting offers? The Library HR Office can reach out to the candidate to ask.

Lessons Learned Session

Krystal Wyatt-Baxter will lead our Lessons Learned, scheduled for March 8 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. in PCL 1.124. This will be potluck, which will include vegetarian and gluten-free items.

Facilitator, Krystal, will ask questions in advance, which will include our hopes for outcome of Lessons Learned session, DAC’s successes and challenges over the last year. Other questions will be about our leadership positions:  How is that going?  Also, how is our transition going from an staff interest group to a standing committee under Library Staff Council?  How is communication officer position going?  We will also document the transition process.

Chill Space Update

Chill space update: Stacy and Andres reported for future renovation we can incorporate considerations for chill spaces.  We can seek out partnerships with other organizations on campus, and to provide recommendations. WE discussed seeking informal feedback.  More quiet spaces are desired in libraries.  What was DAC charge? We can’t designate space only for prayer that is not study space. Typically, such spaces have no desks, may have benches, be a comfortable place. No food or drink allowed. No power outlets. This is a viewable area with doors that cannot lock, no fluorescent light, and provides a calm environment.

Spring Panel Update

Gilbert and Jennifer reported that the spring panel is on track, scheduled for April 13, 1-2:30 in PCL Learning Lab 1.  All panelists have been contacted and PG Moreno has agreed to moderator the discussion.

Recruitment/Spring Open House

During our open house, this will be an introduction of who we are, and what we’re committed to doing.  This is an exercise to inform people, as well as to recruit new members.  Everyone is encouraged to talk to other staff members about Open House.  Please reach out to those who aren’t on other committees. This is also an opportunity to affirm our commitment of why we’re on DAC.  We’ll also explore what has worked well at previous Open Houses to encourage people to join DAC.

It’s time to nominate new co-chair. Melanie will roll off.  Doodle poll to determine May calendar date