All posts by Melanie Cofield

DAC MEETING AGENDA 05/11/2017

PCL 3.120 / 11am -noon

Facilitator: Andres Ramirez
Blogger: Melanie Cofield

Agenda

I remember (All – 5 minutes)

ACRL Diversity Alliance: conference report & UTL membership (Roxanne -15 minutes)

Annual membership changeover / co-chair election (Andres – 15 minutes)

Open Meeting follow- up / bystander training (10 minutes)

Discussion of UT tragedy & campus reaction (10 minutes)

Beyond Barriers event recap (Melanie & Andres – as time allows)

It Made Me Think (All -5 minutes)

DAC Meeting Agenda 03/09/2017

DAC March monthly meeting agenda

(with Lorraine Haricombe & Doug Barnett)
Thursday 3/9, 11:00am
@Geology Building – Barrow Conference Room JGB 4.102

Facilitator(s): Melanie Cofield & Andres Ramirez
Blogger: Stacy Ogilvie

I remember… (5 minutes)

Spring Panel update – (Jennifer and Gilbert / 5 minutes)

Chill Space update – (Stacy, Kristin, Andres / 5 minutes)

Promoting DAC – Administrative expectations, identifying opportunities (Andres / 15 minutes)

Prioritizing future initiatives/ projects (Melanie & Andres / 25 minutes)

Future initiatives/projects under consideration:

  • Expanding campus connectivity, networking capacity
  • Collaborative programming with campus partners, beyond Spring panel or staff training
  • Liaisons connecting with diversity groups & DAC
  • campus calendar/event tracking
  • Involvement with iSchool mentorship program, etc.
  • Strategic involvement in representative hiring & recruitment
  • National Diversity in Libraries Conference (NDLC) representation (& Brown-Bag share-out)
  • Ongoing Brown Bag series
  • Hearts of Texas fundraiser

It made me think… (5 minutes)

Meeting Notes 11/10/2016

DASIG monthly meeting 11/10/2016

Facilitator: Dale
Blogger: Collaborative

Attendees: Melanie Cofield, Gilbert Borrego, Dale Correa, Jennifer Heath, Brittany Deputy, Stacy Ogilvie, Kristin Walker, Andres Ramirez, Ann Marchock

Opened with sharing of thoughts on results of election outcome

Ways to show support for Muslim community:

  • Read/share illustrated Bystander’s Guide to Standing Up Against Islamophobic harassment and accessible text
  • Solidarity gatherings at mosque at 1906 Nueces in Austin
    • This mosque is both an Austin community and UT student community mosque
    • Being there as visible allies when worshipers come for services
  • Building links between Muslim community and support networks on campus
  • Mobile App to report incidents?  Dale looking into whether that works with UTPD/Campus Watch

Ways to be proactive at UTL:

  • Ask Lorraine to mention DASIG as resource in Friday update to lib-all
  • Compile resource list to refer folks to when need arises, and to distribute via student supervisors’ list-serv
  • Let HR know about concerns for student workers – they can report, get assistance

Co-chair election results: Melanie

By-laws update

  • New mission statement approved, by-laws approved with minor edit.
  • Sending to LSC & VPC for final review in their November meetings

DASIG transition schedule

  • Name change & by-laws ahead of schedule – yay! what’s next?  
  • Branding/logos? Members interested in working on this, maybe holding a competition

UTL Space Assessment Team update

  • Kristin Walker and Stacy Ogilvie coordinating
  • Incorporating accessibility considerations

Event planning

  • Repeat Ally Training needed, people expressed interest – let’s get it on the calendar
    • Observation that GSC’s Ally Training focuses on LGBTQ allyship, not necessarily race or religion allyship – lack of intersectional campus programming, can DASIG help build it?
  • BeVocal/Bystander Intervention programs have broader application
  • Engage MEC/DDCE on other broadly applicable training/programming
  • Andres planning to schedule meeting w/ Thao later this month, with Spring and future plans in hand
    • Signature event – April 2017
      • Panel discussion – libraries’ role in defending patron’s rights, access to information, tie ins with accessibility, Open Access, HathiTrust
      • Need to get panelists lined up before winter break
      • Volunteers to coordinate – Jennifer & Gilbert
      • Co-chairs will coordinate meeting with Thao later this month
    • Other Spring 2017 events
      • Ally training repeat
      • One additional training? Contact MEC, DDCE
      • Compile relevant external campus events into Sharepoint calendar for reference, cross-promotion
    • Other events ideas, recurrence
      • Ally training every long semester
      • DAC/iSchool Diversity Mentorship mixer September 2017
      • Reframe readings discussions as current events conversation/brown bag
      • Webinar format for summer events

Sharepoint site

  • Current session leader signup is a Word doc in Sharepoint, link available in site quick links
  • Build in anonymous comment function like LSC
  • Need strategy to answer & share out in responsible & efficient way

Holiday party decor

  • Discussion of curbing religious symbolism associated with workplace holiday events
  • Conversation should also include office decor
  • Shift to seasonal focus, change annual party name (e.g. Winter Wonderland Party)
  • LSC is looking for recommendations on how to handle, guidelines – should bring up in November LSC meeting