All posts by trelogan

Meeting Notes 1/12/17

Held in Life Sciences Library
In attendance: Gilbert (facilitator), Stacy, Jennifer, Andres, Allyssa, Roxanne, Kristin, Jessica (Blogger)

Transition from DASIG to DAC
Andres reported:
Blog: has been renamed, but we still need to change the URL
Listserv: is changed to DAC, but the subject headings still say DASIG…  Gilbert asked if there’s a way to forward from the old address to the new (Andres will check)
Sharepoint:

-About page has new text (all agreed we should put the mission statement there, and that we don’t need further explanation than that)
-Documents folder: older DASIG documents are in a sub-folder. Main folder contains there are facilitator/blogger guidelines, bylaws, and various other resources.
-There are only a handful of registered members listed on sharepoint. People need to get themselves registered/signed up.

Note that session leaders are now called “meeting leaders”
Moving forward: Andres suggested we need a clear communications plan document to describe where stuff goes, what the process is for communications, etc.
Official announcement:

-will be going out probably at Feb all staff meeting (but we are waiting to make sure everything is squared away to avoid confusion).
-we need to make few key points: transition, name change, announcement of new relationship with LSC, announce the upcoming open house.

Open house not scheduled yet, but we could announce that we’re thinking about April. Allyssa pointed out we should do the open house close to the members transition. Lessons learned session probably happening in March.

Lessons learned
Andres reported:
This is traditionally an annual self-assessment session, held in February. Usually this is facilitated by an outsider. Facilitated by Dr Betty Jean Taylor last year (possibly also the yr before).
Discussion: who should do it this year? should we even do one this year? It’s not in the bylaws…yet. We do probably want some form of assessment to talk about leadership, strengths of group, goals setting, etc., but maybe not necessary?
Last year: Dr Taylor solicited questions prior to the session via a Qualtrics survey. Asked about what were strengths/challenges of group last year, priorities, etc.
Kristin suggested we ask Krystal Wyatt-Baxter — she could walk us through the whole assessment plan.
Jennifer recommended Deborah Fields (training specialist here on campus).
Kim Burdine and Joey Hannah were recommended by Kristen Hogan (GSC)
Everyone agrees we ought to go ahead and do it.
We all seem to agree Krystal would be a great
Andres will send an email soliciting suggestions and close it 1/13. He’ll ask for nominees next week.
We also took a vote to confirm that we all agree we need a session (unanimous yes)
Andres will forward us the results from last year (and solicit suggestions for facilitators)

Meeting with Dr. haricombe
Dr. haricombe has approved/signed the event form, she is pleased and wants to talk with us “early january” to hear more results.
Andres invited her to this meeting but also suggested a separate meeting to discuss:
-clarifying communications plan, managing expectations. What do we want her to share out? Where are the boundaries, etc.
(e.g. staff wanted response to PULSE shootings, is it appropriate for us to respond to tragedies like this officially/formally?)
-What does lorraine think? What is she faced with (wrt Pres and Provost office). What can/can she not say?
Someone noted that we don’t really blog on our blog — this could be a place to share more info/thoughts related to current events?
We want to be responsible, but to have checks in our group, checks within UTL, etc.
We should also clarify when a committee report is expected and what it should contain.
JH: President’s office is going to be pushing for faculty more representative of students. Ripple effects will be beneficial for our recruitments, etc. lorraine is asking how we make our own recruitments more reflective too.
JH suggests that Andres/Melanie go to next LSC admin meeting
Andres will send an email inviting her to the next meeting, telling her where we are, etc. make sure our meetings are on her calendar.
RB: will our group have a role in fact finding, etc. about the more representative hiring push? Jennifer suggests we explore that and dig deeper with what we’ve done, etc. we’re doing well

Spring Panel Update

Jennifer reported that they have set a date (April 13th), and a room (Learning Lab 1) and they have talked to many panel members
Team has been working with Thao on basecamp and Thao will let Travis know about it.
TO DO:

-Announce at Feb all staff
-put on HR update
-put on Lib calendar
-tell our partners DDCE OIE GSC

Final Title has been settled: Gilbert will send that around.
Dr. haricombe also has an event in april (about breaking down barriers) — this is more of a collab with non-ut austin universities, but fits nicely with the theme
call for logos/graphics

RB: question about events like this and what kind of admin/official support there is for our evaluations (i.e. as professional development opportunities)

Allies in Action Training

In early June, DASIG identified Ally training for UT Libraries staff as a priority for the summer semester, as support for the Libraries’ commitment to inclusivity and diversity. The Orlando shooting on June 12 spurred us to provide the training as soon as possible, as a means of positive action in the wake of profound tragedy and to help raise our visibility as Allies on campus. Melanie Cofield and Jessica Trelogan volunteered to coordinate, and the Education Team at UT-Austin’s Gender and Sexuality Center provided the on-site Allies in Action training for our staff on July 11th, 13th, and 21st.  Each of the sessions in the two-part series was well-attended, and we had almost 40 people complete the full program.

The interactive sessions included group activities and ample opportunities to practice using language to create more welcoming and inclusive spaces in our daily lives and workplaces. On completion of both parts, participants received an Ally Card to display at work and were added to the Allies in Action network, a diverse community of staff, faculty, and students committed to learning and advocating for affirmation of LGBTQA+ people. Our new Allies in Action members were also able to opt in to being listed on the Allies in Action directory.  As a result, UT Libraries’ listing jumped from one to 35!

Feedback from participants has been overwhelmingly positive, and we continue to hear requests for another round of offerings from people who were unable to attend.

 

Meeting Recap, 7/14/2016

Jessica took notes in a pinch because our scheduled blogger was not in attendance. She failed to note a lot of things, including who was present or not.
I remember…
Allyssa remembers: leaving early but being happy about Melanie’s good notes.
Jennifer doesn’t remember our last meeting!
Melanie says she should look at the blog (which she remembered writing: she wants to listen more closely while notetaking)
Brittany remembers not being here.
Kristin remembers doing wording on our mission and signing up for training things.
Ben remembers: Andres saying we’re having new bylaws (which is why Ann is here!). He’s excited about bylaws.
Many of us can’t remember much of anything.
Ally training results. 
1st two sessions were delivered, Mon and Wed. There were 25-30 people at each (both Part 1). Next week is Part 2 (everyone who does both will get cards). There were several people wanting another round (maybe another one in the fall?). The presentation
was excellent, lively discussion. Snacks were great, brought by people who signed up on signup sheet. Gennell arranged beverages. Thanks to all who chipped in!
Sharepoint. 
The wiki is being retired (soon), so everything there has now been moved to sharepoint (open to all in libraries):
Link is there to add yourself as a member — please do. It is possible to restrict sharepoint pages to only members (but we have UTBox for that). Note the calendar on the front page for events. UTBox will be used for documents we are working on as a group. The meeting sign up is now in sharepoint. Please sign up!
Readings: we can add them here (Gilbert will add articles soon)
Blog. 
Allyssa updated vocabulary list (per GSC list updates)
Bylaws:
Ann reported on the bylaws, specifically calling out Secton 9 of LSC bylaws (which we have read over for input as external committee)
-Part E. Reporting.
     Ann wants to change: “external committee [representatives] will submit links…”  (i.e. do we have a designated “mouthpiece”?)
     Ben will take this to LSC on Friday
     Clarity: Do we have to report through LSC to the VP or directly to the VP? Yes, we do report only through the LSC (i.e. not directly to VP).
Ann and Andres started re-writing several sections for the DASIG bylaws, of which she will share a preliminary draft of prior to the next meeting. She pointed out there are many things we need to decide, e.g.:
-finalized name
-can VP and directors be members?
-should we limit the number of terms for officers?
-does the person have to be re-elected?
-complete list of co-chairs (and other officers’) duties
Ann will come up with a full list of issues and a draft of the bylaws by August. At that point we should either come up with a way to decide on these things or should actually decide on these things. We agreed we should have the bylaws written before we merge (Do we want a vote? do we have a discussion? do we put out a ballot? Qualtrics?), but agreed we shouldn’t do this now (we don’t have a list of all the issues, don’t have any co-chairs).
Ben suggested we get a group together to write a draft, then we advertise the meeting for discussion. He urged us to come up with a plan for editing bylaws. We discussed briefly the merits of Robert’s Rules vs. Concensus and agreed we should come up with an operational model before we proceed with this. There was a lot of discussion about this, with a general agreement that we should put this on the agenda for next time to arrive at a model. Ann and Ben both think we should have a few separate meetings (2 hours each). Ann and Andres will discuss and coordinate this.
Representation from HR
Jennifer talked about having HR representation as an ex-officio role: Jennifer’s always been a full member (because she’s interested), but it seems like a good idea to always have a member from HR here. She proposes that going forward her role should be as a full member, but we should always have an HR person here, if possible. There was a lot of discussion about whether or not we can require or limit membership from HR. We agreed this is another one of the issues we should put in the bylaws.
Personnel committee
Andres had proposed that we always have a member of DASIG on the personnel committee. What do we think? Also add this to the list of things to discuss putting in bylaws.
Events Planning:
-there’s a checklist in the Box folder
-Events group in LSC: be sure to keep in touch with them, especially in terms of scheduling.
-Thao : stay tuned for advancement team brown bag;
-Snack sign up sheet is in Box events planning folder
It made me think:
There was lots of reflection about how many meetings there will be to come about bylaws and how much discussion there is to be had. The process is confusing and fluid. And it is a lot of work. We’re all a little worried about time consuming-ness, but we’re all agreeable and are confident we can get this done.