All posts by sogilvie

Agenda for April Monthly Meeting

Agenda for DAC April Monthly Meeting
Monday, 4/17, 3pm, PCL 1.340 

Facilitator: Stacy Ogilvie
Blogger: Andres Ramirez

  • I remember… (5 minutes)\
  • Spring Panel Recap – (Jennifer and Gilbert / 15 minutes)
  • Reflection Space Update – (Stacy, Kristin, Andres / 10 minutes)
  • Open House Planning – (Andres and Melanie / 10 minutes)
  • Additional UTL staff training ideas on diversity and inclusion topics – (Group discussion / 10 minutes)
  • Barrier-Free exhibit collaboration with Services for Students with Disabilities – (Melanie / 5 minutes)
  • It made me think … (5 minutes)

Meeting Notes 3/9/2017

DAC March monthly meeting
(with lorraine haricombe)
Thursday 3/9, 11:00am
@Geology Building – Barrow Conference Room JGB 4.102


Facilitator(s): Melanie Cofield & Andres Ramirez
Blogger: Stacy Ogilvie

Attending: lorraine haricombe, Melanie Cofield, Andres Ramirez, Kristin Walker, Jennifer Heath, Stacy Ogilvie, Gilbert Borrego, Loretta Wallace

Spring Panel update – (Jennifer and Gilbert / 5 minutes)

Jennifer and Gilbert reported on where we are with panelists. They have reached out to the panelists for bios. Daniel (UTL’s new graphic designer) is working on iterations of a poster for the event. We plan to distribute the poster to our partners to get the word out about this event. They report great progress, that we are right on time with the stages or organization. Jennifer said that few people have registered on UTLearn for the event so far. We have reserved the larger Learning Lab, and depending on interest can adjust to smaller space. We discussed sharing link to the event on UTLearn with our outreach emails. Jennifer will forward an email to DAC members to distribute to people in our units.

Gilbert and Jennifer are working on the information for the speakers to discuss so that they are prepared. It was suggested that they send each speaker’s bio to the other speakers. We discussed getting them together ahead of time for a practice run. lorraine suggested a (Skype?) teleconference of the speakers ahead of time to practice. Jennifer and Gilbert will follow up on recording the event. We have requested an ASL interpreter, and are awaiting availability confirmation. We discussed the need to add wording to either posters or emails to contact DAC for possible accommodations for the event.

Chill Space update – (Stacy, Kristin, Andres / 5 minutes)

A third floor office space has been suggested as the location for DAC sponsored Reflection/Tranquility space. Chris Carter sent two architectural drawings as options for room designs. Chill Space sub-committee will need to give Geoff Bahre guidance on how the entryway should be designed by the end of March. We discussed the space as a pilot project and will think about how to set this sort of space up in other locations in the future. We discussed ways to build in feedback/assessment from people who use the space. We will consult Krystal regarding assessment possibilities. lorraine encouraged us to move expediently on this project due to the current campus climate. She also likes the culture of this space project being a pilot. Since this is intended as a pilot, she advised us not to over engineer the space and see it as an opportunity to learn from the design choices.

Promoting DAC – Administrative expectations, identifying opportunities (Andres / 15 minutes)

We began a discussion with lorraine to clarify where DAC fits into the promotional missions of the library, how we can increase DAC’s visibility within the larger UTL organization, and increase our integration into the functioning of the organization. We also discussed setting mutual expectations between DAC and the VPC.

lorraine stated that she is very supportive of our work, and will continue to support all the values that DAC embraces. She stated that the current climate provides a chance to elevate the visibility of DAC and an opportunity to “flip the script of the sociopolitical environment that we’re all in.” She stated that DAC has support from the central office, planners and financial support for DAC programming; especially programming that is broader than just the UT Libraries. She encouraged us to work with other groups on campus. lorraine also stated that in any way she can she will reflect inclusivity and diversity in the expectations around the workplace, core values, hiring, and to let her know of any areas where we don’t feel supported. She also asked us to bring any problems within any areas to her attention quickly.

We discussed lorraine’s expectations of us as a new standing committee, and our new responsibilities. lorraine stated that our work is embedded in the sociopolitical environment of campus and that the libraries have the opportunity of being uniquely positioned as a neutral “Switzerland”. “If we don’t challenge ourselves, we don’t change.” She suggested involvement in developing a statement. She also recommended DAC co-chairs attending the LSC/ Administrative meetings on a quarterly basis to provide updates and have a regular forum for discussion. Jennifer Heath is in that group and can serve as our direct liaison. lorraine also suggested that DAC forward our Lessons Learned assessment to LSC as an agenda item.

Prioritizing future initiatives/ projects (Melanie & Andres / 25 minutes)

We discussed ways of expanding campus connectivity, networking capacity and ways to be more outward facing in our focus, how to expand our network without overtaxing the human hours of our group members. We have established collaborative networking relationships with MEC, DDCE, GSC, bystander intervention, and Office for Inclusion and Equity.

We discussed that Campus Climate will require all departments on campus to identify their own diversity committees by this April. The the opportunity of us to provide a model for to emerging new diversity groups in the different colleges and organizations across campus. We also talked about how to make connections with these emerging groups on campus. There is no centralized list of diversity groups, and it was suggested we contact the Dean’s Office.  While it was suggested that DAC might serve as a unifying hub for these groups, Lorraine pointed out that the DDCE currently fulfills this role, and we should instead support them. It was also suggested that we can create a DAC diversity LibGuide.

We discussed the possibility of designating one DAC committee member as a representative on the LSC Personnel Committee. We brought up our previous discussions and the concern of the substantial time commitment it would be for this member. Lorraine suggested that we continue to peruse this goal, and to see what needs to be done to make this happen.  It was also suggested that DAC members taking part in hiring interviews may introduce themselves as such.

National Diversity in Libraries Conference (NDLC) representation (& Brown-Bag share-out) – We discussed the possibility of sending a representative to the NDLC each year (edit: Ben reports that NDLC is not an annual conference, but rather every 2 or 4 years, with the next one possibly being in 2018) We floated the idea of presenting DAC’s experience transitioning from a staff interest group to a standing committee. We would like to float potential candidates from DAC to go to NDLC. We would like to outline of possible presentation topics in our end of year report in time for our open house.

We invited those going to the ACRL Conference this year to share back about diversity- related sessions.

Ongoing Brown Bag series – lorraine is very supportive of a brown bag series to provide a form for talking about current climate issues. We discussed whether this would ideally be part of a series of topics like the Data and Donuts or more of a sudden event response, or both. We discussed the importance of being inclusive, avoiding politicized debate, and instead encouraging conversation and not shutting out different points of view. We will likely consult with DDCE for guidance with (meeting guidelines, and rules of engagement.) We will discuss this further at our April meeting.

Meeting Notes 12/8/2016

Attendees: Roxanne, Jennifer, Jessica, Andres, Loretta, Kristin, Allyssa, Melanie, Gilbert, Stacy

I remember:

  • Melanie: Dale offered several suggestions to support the Muslim community in the aftermath of the presidential election.
  • Stacy: That it was a very emotional meeting.
  • Jessica: Was not at last meeting but remembers the time period as being very emotional.


Facilitator/blogger signup (Andres):

  • Some new members are hesitant to blog/facilitate due to uncertainty about procedures, so Andres put together a guide. Andres shared a draft of a Guide for DAC Meeting Facilitators before meeting to give the group a chance to preview it.  Will be open to comments and corrections, then will post to DAC SharePoint for future reference.
  • From discussion during a co-chair planning meeting, Melanie and Andres wanted to take the opportunity for the group to consider any possible changes on how we run meetings. Andres suggested a revision (which he has mailed out to us, since this meeting.)
  • This is our last meeting as DASIG – at the next meeting our committee name will be DAC (Diversity Action Committee) and we’ll be an independent external committee, working in partnership with LSC.
  • Open up for discussion – members agreed that it was a good idea.
  • Discussed the need to go back and tag older blog entries to reformat/revise to new standards.
  • Discussed pre-assigned blogging/facilitation, consensus was to continue to ask for volunteers at the end of each meeting.

Spring meeting schedule (Melanie):

  • One-and-a-half hour meeting time proposed by Melanie


    • Pro: One hour seems very rushed, sometimes business needs more discussion;
    • Con: more than an hour is a harder commitment. One hour keeps us on topic, disciplined.
    • Suggestion was made to tack on an extra optional 15 minutes/half hour as needed. We will try this out next time. We will book the meeting room for an hour and a half and direct people to agenda/blog.
  • Melanie proposed having DASIG (DAC by next meeting time) hold their meetings at other locations to avoid having meetings solely at PCL. This would allow us to have greater outreach and visibility at branch locations.
    • Roxanne and Stacy will look into arrangements for holding meetings at the Life Science Library and the Walter Geology Library.
    • Melanie will investigate the possibility of meetings at other locations.
  • Decision to continue Thursday meeting timeslot 11am-12pm, with add-on optional 30 minutes for open discussion.
  • Melanie will schedule Spring meetings in room 3.120 before winter break, with branch location updates pending.

Blog updates (Allyssa):

  • Allyssa worked with Gilbert and Melanie on updating our blog’s side bar navigation.
  • They pared down the categories and tags: 4 categories: Events & Training, Meeting Agenda, Meeting Notes, and Resources for Staff. The Uncategorized category could not be deleted.
  • Tags are to be used to describe the topic of the post and its source. Notes and Agendas do not need tags.
  • Please don’t use too many tags. Keep them at or under five tags max. Tag your source, be specific, and look at tags on your source article.
  • Blog updated with new DASIG/DAC name
  • Discussed coming up with a new tagline and or a new header image to coincide with our name change and becoming a standing committee. Andres suggested photo of one of the Gloria Anzaldua quotes outside the PCL learning labs.
  • All old posts are categorized but not tagged.
  • A question was raised about whether blog search bring up articles that have been posted?

Event Updates:

Strategic planning meeting with Thao (Andres):

  • Event forms will be submitted by us directly to Doug.
  • Thao is mostly interested in events that require assistance such as promotion, refreshments or AV support.
  • The person(s) in charge of an event will be in charge of submitting future event forms and of corresponding BaseCamp projects.
  • Events with an audience outside of UTL could potentially have a larger budget.
  • Events will not have “Signature” as part of the title. The term Signature is reserved for high-profile events involving the Vice-Provost and the Advancement Team.
  • Discussed potentially co-sponsoring future events with other campus organizations.

Spring Panel Event (Jennifer + Gilbert):

Spring panel event will be Thurs April 13 from 1pm-2:30pm in the PCL Learning Lab

  • Tentatively titled: Breaking Down the Barriers to Access
  • Panelists will discuss disability access, open access to materials, web access, and post-custodial access.
  • We will need to specify what Colleen’s section will cover.
  • Daniel Jacobs, DDCE Captioning Services would like to participate.
  • PG Moreno will participate – perhaps ADA/facilities access issues.
  • Theresa Polk can speak on post-custodial access. If she can’t make it for whatever reason we may ask for another presenter from Benson.
  • Each will spend 10 minutes explaining what/how they provide access to information and what are our challenges to providing access.
  • Adam McBride could be a possibility for an open education piece (Open education resources.)
  • We would like to engage the wider UT community with this panel discussion.
  • Jennifer will send out a Qualtrix poll to solidify the final panel title.
  • Could a panelist be a moderator instead?  Suggested to ask PG Moreno to be facilitator.  Agreed.

(Brief) UTL Space Assessment update (Kristin/Stacy)

  • We’re code-naming the project “Chill Space” – removing the Safe Space language and its inferences.
  • We’re working through some data/research.
  • Will be meeting Monday, Dec. 19 with Andres to discuss how we can utilize Krystal in the assessment.
  • We’ve had requests for more migraine-free kinds of spaces (no fluorescent lighting?)
  • Determining if the assessment would be for more of a separate space or for a general inclusive chill space atmosphere.

DAC transition action items
Announcement of new status/name/by-laws/Sharepoint presence/communication plan

  • Setting the expectations around DAC communications/promotion/recognition within UTL
  • We Discussed:
    • What we need to update before we announce ourselves.
    • Blog and listserv renaming
    • Articulating our communications plan
    • Look at email about suggested Sharepoint updates from Melanie and comment
    • Add Guide to facilitate/blog for DAC meetings
    • Current list of campus partners + context
    • Quick response resource list on hand
  • Discussed whether there was an automated way to track other org’s events on campus – still investigating effective approach that isn’t too much effort.
  • Discussed how we want to solicit comments from people?
  • Will we refer to LSC anon comment form and expect they will work their way to us if they are important?
  • Comment would end up as an agenda item at an LSC meeting
  • We need to make sure LSC knows we want to accept comments from them that are relevant to DAC
  • Some people might want to just comment to DAC not be filtered through LSC
  • With our own comment form there would be no filter through another committee
  • We would need to develop a process for rapid handling of comment submissions

It Made Me Think …

  • Lots of Sharepoint updates are needed.

Next meeting:
Blogger: Jessica
Facilitator: Gilbert