Category Archives: Meeting Notes

MEETING NOTES 10/23

DAC October monthly meeting minutes:

Monday 10/23, 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m, PCL 3.120

Facilitator: Bonnie / Blogger: Andres

Present: Bonnie, Andres, Gina, Rebecca, Jennifer, Gilbert, Kristin, Roxanne, Carla

Absent: Loretta

I remember (all – 5 minutes):

Bonnie and the group recalled the co-chairs providing a well-received DAC update at the October All Staff meeting.  Andres recalled how it was a group member’s suggestion at the last meeting that prompted the co-chairs to ask Doug to be added to the All Staff agenda.  A point was raised about planning the frequency of DAC updates at All Staff meetings.  It was suggested co-chairs plan on quarterly updates, or to adjust this schedule depending on news or announcements to share with staff.

[ACTION ITEM: Co-chairs schedule regular quarterly DAC updates at All Staff meetings]

Communication Officer Team – (Andres & Gina – 10 minutes)

Gina formally announced that Kristin and Bonnie have agreed to serve as Communication Officer Team, and are working on listing and dividing duties between them.  The DAC bylaws may need to be revised.

[ACTION ITEM: Bonnie and Kristin will draft a list of duties and will share these with the group.]

Monthly meeting scheduling / meeting at branches (Kristin – 5 minutes)

Announcement that volunteers are needed to serve as facilitators/bloggers for our upcoming meetings.  It’s suggested that we decide meeting by meeting, at the conclusion for the following meeting.  Reminder that our upcoming meeting needs to be scheduled, at the Benson if possible. Looking forward to returning to a more regular meeting schedule.

[ACTION ITEM: Kristin will send out Doodle Poll to schedule upcoming monthly meetings.  November meeting will be scheduled at Benson.]

Recruiting Student Members – Strategies for spring? (Gina – 5 minutes)

Discussion over potential for recruiting hourly/ GRA/ ULN intern students onto DAC.  Because of difficulty with scheduling, may try recruiting GRAs in the spring.

As has been previously noted, undergrads will likely have difficulty attending regular scheduled meetings.  However, could be included as Student Associate Members and assisting with projects or events and providing input (through forums or informal focus groups) and making connections with full-time staff members.  Students would need to ask permission from supervisors and be clear that DAC participation is paid work time, which may make it prohibitive for some to participate.

Noted ULN interns are not technically UT Library staff.  Suggestion that DAC request having a dedicated ULN intern next fall, with co-chairs as supervisors.  Assignment is 10 hours/ week, so would need consistent tasks to assign.  The call for ULN interns is in January.  Is there specific research we want to undertake?  Potential to design a diversity-related iSchool Capstone project to propose.  Capstone fair is November 2nd.

[ACTION ITEM: Anyone attending Capstone fair should see if there is interest in diversity research-related capstone project. Follow up conversation at next meeting.]

Session with Assistant VP /Office of Diversity and Inclusion – (Gina – 5 minutes)

From a conversation between Gina and Jennifer, it was suggested it would be helpful to host a session about support for activism on campus.  Considering the current national political tensions that are being manifested on UT campus and campuses across the country, it would be helpful for employees to understand where boundaries are in showing support for political activities and activism on campus, for example signing solidarity statements that circulate on campus, usually by faculty.  Suggested before holiday break we contact Dr. Betty Jean Taylor of DDCE to facilitate a session for interested staff to discuss guidelines for expressing solidarity.

Session will not replace monthly meetings, as other groups may have interest.  Co-chairs can collect questions and topics for the session.  The notes and takeaway points for the session can be then be shared through lib-all or on blog.

[ACTION ITEM: Andres/ Gina will reach out to Dr. Taylor to begin scheduling this meeting.]

Spring Panel & Event Planning – Potential topics for April 11 (Andres – 10 minutes)

Andres suggested Spring Panel event in April could bring together representatives from Diversity & Inclusion groups across campus (such as department faculty groups, PEFSA, etc.) for a conversation about what they are working on, challenges and opportunities to partner.  Roxanne suggested expanding to hosting a half-day D&I fair, enabling groups to do tabling in addition to the panel discussion.

Suggestion to ask DDCE and GSC to co-sponsor, in addition to other external partners. SAC Ballroom would need to be rented, involving $$, instead could host at Learning Lab 1.  Roxanne volunteered to help organize the fair.  Carla mentioned the ¡A Viva Voz! Celebration at Benson is usually also in early April.

[ACTION ITEM: Co-chairs will reach out to potential partners for interest and input.]

Hearts of Texas planning – February Bingo! (Kristin – 5 minutes)

Kristin shared that in February DAC will sponsor our first Hearts of Texas (HoT) fundraising event, on February 14th, appropriately Valentines’ Day.  Hot Hearts.  Picking Bingo allowed for a fairly simple event, not requiring much work on our part, aside from promotion.  We can choose what charity to benefit; the list of applicable charities was sent out earlier to the group.  We may consider some type of diversity theme to the Bingo.

[ACTION ITEM: Follow up planning conversation at next meeting.]

Brief LSC/ Admin meeting agenda discussion (Jennifer – 5 minutes)

Jennifer brought up the upcoming LSC/Admin meeting, and the group discussed topics to cover.  Andres intends to discuss DAC’s plans to develop a list of campus diversity and inclusion groups and our potential reaching out to liaisons to facilitate communication with these groups.  Jennifer mentioned that by the time of the meeting there may be news about the potential diversity initiative. Andres asked that any additional topics be emailed to the co-chairs for inclusion.

[ACTION ITEM: Co-chairs will share the DAC agenda ahead of the LSC/Admin meeting.]

It made me think… (All – 5 minutes)

Roxanne reflected that a great deal of our meeting discussion resulted in agreement, and that for a diversity group it is healthy to put forth a variety of opinions and perspectives.

Bonnie shared that stepping in to the Communication Officer role, she has considered the importance of speaking out, and that a lack of a shared message is a message in itself.

Meeting Notes 9/25/17

DAC September monthly meeting minutes
Thursday 9/25, 11:00 a.m. to noon, PCL 3.120

Facilitator: Rebecca / Blogger: Bonnie

Present: Andres, Gina, Rebecca, Jennifer, Gilbert, Kristin, Loretta, Bonnie

Absent: Roxanne, Carla

 I remember (all – 5 minutes):

The group recalled our discussion of ADA parking spaces near PCL on campus and our enthusiasm for naming Gina as co-chair!

Jennifer brief update (5 minutes)

Jennifer reported on an exciting development opportunity that may allow us to participate in the ACRL Diversity Alliance program. She will continue to follow up with others in the organization.

Communciations Officer (Andres & Gina – 10 minutes)

DAC is still looking to fill this position, particularly given the priority for outward-facing communication. As per the by-laws, this role serves as a liaison to the UT Libraries Communications Officer, distributes monthly meeting minutes, manages a web presence, and works with event planning committees on event promotion. Since no one has stepped forward, it was suggested that it could possibly be a shared position between two people. For social media and other public presences, the group agreed that it would best to work with Travis and use UTL’s existing channels, rather than initiate them independently. Whoever fills or shares this role would move forward with that.

Action items: Renewed call for volunteers with the notion that the responsibilities may now be shared. Gina and Andres will follow up with potential nominees.

Workshop planning (Andres – 10 minutes)

Only three people signed up for the BeVocal training, so it will need to be rescheduled. Meanwhile, the next Ally Toolkit workshop is scheduled for Oct 27. Looking forward, we will also be scheduling our event for Hearts of Texas and a disability ally workshop. The group agreed that November might work well for the BeVocal rescheduling, and that spring might be best for HoTs and other events.

Action items: Andres will share a Box document to align planning and brainstorming.

Campus diversity groups (Gina – 10 minutes)

Gina has been following up on an initiative Melanie started with Beth Dodd to connect with other departments and schools on campus who have groups and efforts around diversity and inclusion. Loretta, also, has been proactively approached by the BFSA. The group will consider the best way to work with subject liaisons as we navigate these connections and what we’d like to do or gain by doing so.

Action items: Begin reaching out to liaisons and also JH will reach out to the DDCE about the possibility of forming a list of such groups.

Reflection space update (Kristin – 5 minutes)

The signage is up, the furniture is in, and people seem to be using it! There has been little to no promotion of the space, but its presence will be added to the library website. Also, a light sensor will be added to the office portion of the space, because right now the lights can be turned off (which invites mischief).

Hearts of Texas planning (Kristin – 10 minutes)

Kristin attended the HoTs planning event on behalf of DAC and shared ideas about what might be a good fit for DAC to sponsor – themed Bingo? As discussed earlier, spring feels like a good time for the DAC schedule – perhaps February / Valentine’s Day – “Hearts” in February.

Action items: Kristin will send list of possible sponsorship events

Barrier Free exhibit update (Andres – 5 minutes)

UT Arlington’s “Building a Barrier-Free Campus” exhibit has been approved to visit UT Austin. It will reside in the PCL UFCU from Oct 11 – 23, with a panel discussion on the 11th. October is Disability Awareness month, so there will be opportunities to cross-promote.

Action items: Andres could use assistance with coordinating this if anyone is available to volunteer

 

Meeting Notes 8/10/17

DAC August monthly meeting minutes:

Thursday 8/10, 1:00am-noon, PCL 3.120

Facilitator: Andres / Blogger: Rebecca

Present: Andres, Gina, Rebecca, Jennifer, Gilbert, Kristin, Bonnie

Absent: Roxanne, Carla, Loretta

I remember (all – 5 minutes):

There were many positive responses to the visit to the Reflection Space following the July meeting. Most agreed that the selected paint colors worked well together, despite initial concerns, and that the space is shaping up nicely. Jennifer inquired about the door to the inner room of the space, and Andres confirmed that the inner door will be removed.

New Co-chair (Andres – 5 minutes):

Andres expressed his excitement to welcome Gina as the new co-chair. He pointed out that every co-chair has their own approach to the position, and hoped that Gina will feel she can bring a unique perspective to her role. Gina expressed her own thanks for the nomination and election to co-chair. She shared that she is looking forward to coming into the co-chair position as a new DAC member.

BeVocal Training/Co-teacher opportunity (Jennifer – 10 minutes):

Jennifer informed the group that the next BeVocal training is scheduled for 9/17/17, most likely from 1-2:30 p.m. The session was scheduled for later in September to allow for more student attendance, and to facilitate co-involvement of students and staff in the training session, with the idea being to open up discussion between the two groups. BeVocal is hoping for around 20 attendees in total for the session. Marion Trattner will need a co-teacher, and has suggested that it might be a good idea for a UTL staff member to fulfill that role and assist with the training. That co-teacher could then go on to serve as an in-house UTL trainer for future sessions. Jennifer shared that she felt that she herself would find it helpful to see the training again to get more exposure to the material presented. Andres agreed that he too would like to see the material again, and he expressed interest in being involved as a co-trainer in the future.

Action items: Jennifer will get in touch with Marion to see what training for UTL staff to be co-teachers would involve. She also offered to contact earlier attendees about their interest in co-teacher, and about attending the September session.  Jennifer will also remind UTL supervisors in September about the upcoming training session.

Following the BeVocal discussion, Jennifer also brought up Allyship training and asked the group for thoughts about scheduling and frequency of future offerings. Kristen Hogan from the GSC will be the trainer for the sessions. As of now, the proposal is for one session to be held in the fall and one in the spring, with the two parts occurring close together. Gina shared that the GRA’s are very interested in participating in the training, and suggested that early November might be a good target period for the first session. Kristin felt that November was a really hectic time, and suggested that early October also seemed too early in the semester. Andres shared that Kristen Hogan had mentioned before that early in the semester is a tricky time to schedule trainings. He offered that one offering of the training per year might maximize the number of attendees, and he suggested that fall attendance could be used to determine how to plan spring offerings of the training. Jennifer is interested in listing the upcoming sessions in UT Learn, and she is happy to head up the organization of the sessions, but she would also appreciate help from others with the organizing. Kristin expressed her interest in helping to organize upcoming training sessions.

Action items: Jennifer will be in touch with Kristen Hogan to discuss scheduling possibilities. She will also cross-check UTL calendars for possible conflicts.

PCL ADA parking spaces (Gina – 10 minutes):

Gina shared a recent experience she had had while working at the PCL research help desk, when a student patron had asked about the availability of ADA parking spaces close to PCL. The experience left her thinking that it would be a good idea for DAC to find out what information is currently available regarding ADA parking spaces, and to have that information on hand when patrons raise the question in the future. She also suggested that this might be information that staff at other branches might also appreciate having for their patrons. A very out of date map of available spaces (especially concerning Speedway construction) is available on the Parking and Transportation website. The group discussed the known number of spaces close to PCL, such as the 3 between McCombs and the 3 or so spaces by Jester. Gina informed the group that it seems that spaces such as these require not only ADA designation, but also a campus parking permit in order to park. These spaces seem to fill up regularly, which means that the Brazos garage is the best suggestion to give to visitors to PCL. Since PCL is a central hub where many people come as visitors, Gina feels it is important to pursue better information about accessibility to PCL for all kinds of users and visitors.

Gina then introduced the possibility of reaching out to Alyssa Guzman and the Web Refresh team about including more accurate and up to date information about ADA spaces on the new website. Gilbert proposed adding this information to the InclusiveU app. Kristin suggested that the Office for Inclusion and Equity might be a good place to contact about DAC’s concerns. Jennifer suggested Deputy ADA coordinator Stephanie Myers as a possible contact. A question was raised within the group about the new bollards on 21st, and who has right of passage through these. Gina mentioned that the student had brought up the fact that buses used to stop right in front of PCL, and she wondered if this would be the case in the future. Gina then raised the question as to whether the university is in fact ADA compliant, and if this is determined by proximity to buildings, or to the number of spaces being provided. She thinks it may be the latter, but then expressed frustration about the lack of easy access to buildings.

Action items: Gina is planning to call Parking and Transportation to find out if we can get clearer information about what ADA parking options exist, in order to provide that information to students and visitors. She also intends to follow up on the University’s ADA compliance.

Action items for DAC members: Gilbert raised the idea of figuring out existing spaces on our own and adding them to the InclusiveU app. Bonnie raised the need to find out what other campus transport services may exist for PCL visitors, such as the Sure Walk program.

DAC Annual Report (Andres – 20 minutes):

Andres has uploaded his current draft of DAC’s Annual Report to UTBox for the group to review. Andres thinks that it is a good opportunity to put out an annual report given that it will be the first opportunity following DAC’s affiliation with the LSC. The report will serve as a means to capture more intangible things beyond DAC events. Andres summarized his decisions regarding format and organization of the report, following LSC’s own annual report as a model, and using DAC activities and events as a means to structure the document. Since DAC doesn’t have an official charge at this point, the committee’s mission statement was included instead. Andres stated that he hoped to draw out things from the Lessons Learned session, and combine these items with future goals for the committee. Andres then solicited additional comments and feedback on the report from the group.

Gilbert suggested adding short blurbs to describe what trainings entailed, as well as including dates for events/activities, and to list things chronologically in the report. He also suggested including any images from DAC events that are available, as well as a sampling of positive comments received from attendees. Kristin reminded Andres about the discussion group following the Pulse Nightclub tragedy, and also recommended including a mention of the DAC monthly meeting attended by the Vice Provost. She also asked whether it might be a good idea to include survey statistical data the committee gathers following training sessions. A group discussion ensued regarding the best method(s) for gathering feedback (e.g. paper comment forms immediately following a training/event, email surveys, Qualtrics, QR codes). Andres collected paper comment forms at the spring panel event, scanned them and sent the scans to DAC members, as a means of sharing feedback data. He also pointed out that he would like to add attendance data from events and trainings if possible, and Jennifer offered to get those numbers from UTLearn.

Andres then asked the group for feedback about the report’s section about losing DAC members because of the UTL reorganization, and there was wide consensus within the group that inclusion of the re-org’s impact on DAC was very important to highlight. Andres concluded his comments with some items he intended to elaborate upon in the annual report’s final draft (DAC’s involvement with, the Vice Provost’s charges), and to inform the group that DAC’s annual report will be included with LSC’s annual report, but will also be available separately on the DAC Sharepoint page.

Action items for DAC members: Andres asked for any additional feedback or edit of the document to be submitted to him by Friday 8/11/17.

It Made Me Think (all – 5 minutes)