How does the TARO Steering Committee work?
- See the Governance Plan
Steering Committee 2019:
- Chair: Carla Alvarez, UT Libraries, Benson Latin American Collection, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice-Chair / Chair-elect: Rebecca Romanchuk, Texas State Library and Archives Commission, email@example.com
- Secretary: Irene Lule, Harry Ransom Center, UT Austin, firstname.lastname@example.org
- At large members:
- UT Libraries liaison: Aaron Choate
- UT Libraries programmers:
- Immediate past chair: Sandra Yates, McGovern Historical Center, Texas Medical Center, email@example.com
Chair: Amanda Focke
- Investigate at peer systems’ governance structures
- Report and discuss with Steering Committee
- Propose a formal board structure for TARO
Co-chairs: Becky Romanchuk & Carla Alvarez
- Draft EAD Best Practices Guidelines (BPG) that comply with the newly released EAD3 schema and second edition of Describing Archives: A Content Standard (DACS)
- Consider how peer consortia have handled repositories’ use of different standards for controlled vocabulary (e.g., Library of Congress subject headings vs. Getty Art & Architecture Thesaurus terms).
- Discuss the possible role of broad thematic (e.g., Education, Arts and Humanities) and geographic (e.g., West Texas) browse terms that will provide easy entry points to TARO finding aids.
Funding & Sustainability
Chair: Amy Bowman
- Explore grant funding possibilities for update / development of TARO.
- Explore whether any peer systems use a membership fee to sustain operations.
Outreach & Education
Chair: James Williamson
- Keep membership aware of of the Steering Committee’s efforts 2015-2016 and ongoing changes
- Solicit feedback from TARO members (comments / questions)
- Develop training materials
Technologies & Website
Chair: Robert Weaver
- Understand technical implications of TARO standards, users, and goals
- Advise on possible technical directions for TARO
- Manage and train other members to use/update TARO Today blog
- Plan and facilitate platform evaluations
- Produce user personas and use cases
- Create evaluation matrix for platform evaluation
- Conduct Q&A with platform reps
- Create technical documentation that can be shared with member repositories (Work with Outreach Committee)
QA Finding Aid
Chair: Sandra Yates
- Volunteers from various TARO repositories will review Word finding aids for adherence to TARO standards before forwarding to a vendor for EAD encoding.
- Members will review the EAD finding aids encoded by the vendor.
- Communicate with Participating Repositories of the Summerlee grant funded New Member Initiative, as needed.